Skip to main content

Go to Bed!

I used to think poorly of parents who kept their 3 year olds in cribs. What's the point, I would think, they can climb in and out. Why not just get them a bed and be done with it! Are you afraid they'll fall out of bed or something?

I now repent. Luke, who will be 4 in February, is still sleeping in a crib. It has more to do with inertia than anything else. When his sisters were 3, there was another baby who needed the crib, so they were in beds, no problem. I'm not opposed to putting Luke in a bed, but to do that we'd need to figure out the whole bed situation which seemed extremely complicated...

We finally decided to get two low loft beds for the girls. We did not get the castle curtains that are supposed to go around them (hmmm, Christmas presents?). Then we'll give Luke the bed we got for him when he was born---a bookshelf bed with a trundle that matches the dresser in his room, which Ella has been using until we decided what kind of bed to get for her. The "day bed" with rails on 3 sides that Amanda has been using (Ella's first bed) will be sent on to the next child. And we'll be set until someone moves out and wants to take their bed with them.

Unfortunately, the beds don't arrive until just before Christmas. Luke already has Ideas about how to fix his crib: "We need to get a saw and cut the sides off my crib!" He then goes over to the crib and shows exactly where he thinks he should saw. Fortunately, the saw is kept far far away from the crib. I'm thinking we should put a lock on the toolbox until he actually gets a bed, though.

Comments

C. L. Hanson said…
I know how the whole inertia thing goes. We finally replaced our kids' broken trundle-bed with bunk-beds, but one piece was broken -- now we're in the endless procedure of getting a replacement part. Meanwhile the kids are sleeping on mattresses on the floor...

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.