Skip to main content

An involved story

Luke's class at school made "stone soup" a few months ago. Luke was very impressed with making it, less impressed with how it tasted. At any rate, one of his beloved teachers apparently splashed some stone soup on Luke's nose and wiped it off with a kleenex.

Luke came home and told us the story, and now whenever he has a runny nose he wants us to wipe, he says "I have stone soup on my nose! Wipe it off!" This comes in varying degrees of intensity, depending on his emotional state at the time.

This would be the end of it, except of course that Luke's pronunciation is that of a 2 year old boy, and so when he says "stone soup" it comes out as "tone poop!" When trying to get him to say "soup", it often comes out as "sssss poop". I have finally started to understand what he is talking about, so I don't get one bodily function confused with another. But his older sister (Amanda, not Eleanor, who is too old to get involved with such gross stuff) insists on understanding it as poop, and so starts off on a whole litany of conversations I really don't need to dwell on here. Luke of course, thinks that direction of conversation is completely funny, and so the conversation blossoms when I wish it would wither.

I'm hoping these conversations end soon. Amanda gets sent to the bathroom when she starts them (the appropriate place, of course) and Luke gets redirected into talking about words that rhyme with soup. I guess, taking the long view, that we will definitely be done with this by the time they're graduating from high school.

Comments

Beth said…
Let me know when they stop being interested in talking about poop...I'm still waiting for it. (You may hit it first, since Amanda is a girl!)

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.