Skip to main content

Sleep over, for real

Eleanor went to her first sleepover last weekend. I wrote earlier about the "sleep over" she and Amanda had in Eleanor's closet, but this was at a friend's house across town.

The sleepover had a "Star Wars" theme. Earlier that day our family had actually gone to the Durham Museum of Life and Science and seen people in costume as Star Wars characters---various storm troopers, bounty hunters, a very impressive looking imperial general... So Eleanor was prepared. She also gathered the two books she had about Star Wars (both gifts =) to read before bed.

After the pool party, the kids went to the friend's house and watched Star Wars in the media room. Eleanor watched much of it standing in the doorway (she wouldn't go out) repeating to herself, "I have to remember it's not real. It's just pretend." This is the way I prefer to watch suspenseful movies (although I internalize my rational voice) so I sympathize. I remember watching Hunt for Red October from behind a couch! I don't think she had nightmares from it last night, we'll hope that lasts.

The girls got to bed eventually at 10:50 according to Eleanor (they fell asleep earlier according to the mom) and were quiet until 8:30. They ate pancakes and did crafts in the morning. Eleanor missed church, but we figured there was really no reason to make her go at this point---it was her very first sleepover, and she would have been pretty tired and not been able to do any of the crafts with her friends. Next time we'll pick her up earlier.

Now we just have to invite friends over here for a sleepover... Funny, I'm not nearly as excited about the idea as Eleanor is. The tips I've gleaned from this one are 1) tire the kids out beforehand, 2) don't invite too many kids, and 3) schedule enough activities. Are there any more sleepover tips out there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.