Skip to main content

I hate allergies

Last Sunday is a perfect example of why I hate allergies. It started in Sunday school, when we had a monthly "feast" that involved Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I brought round crackers for Amanda---pretty good, but no substitute for doughnuts.

Then after church we had a celebration of the end of setting up and tearing down chairs every week (we meet in a school, and are soon going to move to our own building). There was a skit, a folding chair throwing contest (Amanda did pretty well) and...a cake. Of course made with milk and eggs, because who would serve a vegan cake at a general celebration (to include everyone, it would have to be gluten free as well). Amanda separated herself from the cake by going out to the playground by herself.

We went out to lunch after the celebration to our great Greek restaurant. While we were deciding where to go, Amanda voted for the Greek restaurant, saying something like, "Gyros is sooooo yummy." She ate an entire grown up serving of gyros and almost all the french fries. The other kids had their lunch, which included a dessert---ice cream, or rice pudding. It has never seemed to matter very much to Amanda, who was still packing away french fries and gyros when the dessert came, but this time she seemed to watch very attentively.

She recently had her allergy tests re-done, and is still allergic to everything she was before, although I remain hopeful that she'll grow out of it. Maybe the problem last Sunday was that I didn't prepare enough. Or maybe this is just something she'll deal with, probably more gracefully than I will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.