Skip to main content

Window

The other day I opened Luke's window for a little bit, noticed that the screen was out, and closed it. Luke was watching intently from his crib, so I explained that he should never stick anything out the window, he should be very careful near open windows or he could fall out and hurt himself. (We actually have a friend whose 2 year old child fell out a window. The child is fine now.)

Today I sang "How much is that doggie in the window" for Luke. He liked the song, but the second time I came to the chorus he started yelling: "Stop! Doggie! Stop! Window! Stop!"* I think he was afraid that the doggie was going to fall out the window. Tonight I sang "Jesus loves me" and he said "Stop! Jesus, doggie, stop! Window!" I can't wait until he can speak in sentences, it should be fun.

Bonus Luke story: This morning I was trying to get a diaper on a very squirmy Luke. For fun, I asked if his froggy blanket needed a diaper change. "Yes! Wipe." I gave him a wipe and he carefully wiped off his froggy. Then he put froggy in a clean diaper, and said "All clean!" He went over to his clean clothes basket and took out a shirt. "Shirt." He made me put froggy in the shirt and then carried froggy around for the rest of the morning. You should understand that his froggy blanket has no "body," just a head attached to a soft blanket, so putting him in clothes was tricky. Luke didn't seem to notice.

*All of the Luke quotes are translations of "Lukish." If you spend a lot of time around Luke, you will understand some of what he says, but "Stop!" comes out more like "Dop," "All clean" sounds like "aah eeen," and so on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.