Skip to main content

Household mathematics

I have figured out why I hate folding socks---it's a simple problem of mathematics.

7 days x 2 feet x 5 people = 70 socks---not counting all the times that Amanda loses her socks between outings and needs a new pair.

The total number of possible pairs of socks is 70x69/2=2415. Given a random sock pick, the chance that you pick out the pair for that sock is 1 in 69. Once you've got that pair, the chance you pick out a pair on the next two grabs is 1/67... Assignment: what is the chance that, reaching randomly into the bin each time, you come up with exactly the right pairing of socks?

If I had the time and no toddler, I could figure out the average time it would take you to pair up all the socks (someone has surely already done this). This doesn't even take into account all the lone socks that simply have no mate, no matter how many times you reach into the bin.

I realize that in real life the grabs are not random (you won't accidentally grab Eleanor's purple sock when you are looking for Mama's black sock). I have also made the problem easier by not sorting any of Michael's socks: I put them all in a drawer and he sorts them as he puts them on. I realize that I could also make this easier by buying all one kind of sock for each person: all purple for Eleanor, all pink for Amanda, etc. I'm not ready to do that yet (socks have been the one place I have felt free to express myself in clothing), but after thinking about the mathematics, I'm taking it under advisement.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, perhaps when Luke is 5 he will opt to wear the same socks for days in a row like my kid does. Gross, but it does cut down on laundry...

FNDP
mathmom said…
FNDP: One can only hope =)

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.