Skip to main content

Luke Climbs

Luke has finally discovered the joy of climbing stairs. For the past few days, whenever he becomes quiet, I know to try looking upstairs. Fortunately for us, he is agile enough at this point to get up them with no problems (unless one of his sisters is laughing at him from below). Amanda, when she first learned to climb stairs, was much younger and managed to fall down them at least twice.

I still try to walk behind him as he climbs, but I do let him climb since he gets so much joy out of it. If adults enjoyed climbing stairs the way he does, many more stairmasters would be out of people's closets... The entire nation would probably not be facing the obesity epidemic.

I like watching him climb onto the couch. He gets up there and plays and plays. He makes attractive noises as if to say, "look at me! I'm so clever!". He makes me smile.

Luke also loves climbing up onto chairs and stools to reach for whatever happens to be on the counter or table. His current favorite is to climb onto Amanda's chair and eat whatever is at Amanda's plate---whether Amanda is there or not. He also climbs on the chair in front of the sink in the bathroom and looks at himself in the mirror. Climbing on kitchen stools is great as well. I've had to be much more careful about where I put knives, containers of liquid, the crock pot...

Of course, the real trouble is not getting up, but climbing down. He does have a good sense of how to climb (move one limb at a time, get your balance before moving the next limb, watch what you're doing) but he just isn't good yet at going down slowly (I can't tell you how many times I've picked him up off the floor after he's fallen off a low stool). I think I will be trying to teach him that, instead of just waiting for him to pick it up on his own.

Three more things about Luke (that probably belong in another post, but whatever): First, he got his 6th tooth a day or two ago. It is on the lower right, matching his 5th tooth on the upper right. There was a bit more drama than with the first 4 teeth, but nothing too terrible. He already has his mother's crowded teeth, which means that he will probably need braces...

He definitely has a few words, or word-like sounds. I mentioned earlier that he says "nnn nnn nnn!" when he's angry. He has also said "zzzz zzzz" to mean his sisters, although I am less sure than Michael that this means what I think it means. When he goes up to bed, and I say "good night" to his sisters and daddy, he waves and says "ni ni". However, I can tell that he's waiting to be able to say whole sentences.

Finally, the other day I was home with Luke while the girls were off at school. I was just wondering when I should put Luke down for his nap when he disappeared for a moment, went into his room, and came out holding his froggy blanket. He then came over and laid his head in my lap. As far as communication goes, that is pretty clear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.