Skip to main content

Tired planet

I was just reading a blog about a mother, recovering from surgery, who felt bad because she didn't have green milk and lucky charms for breakfast on St. Patrick's day this year. Some of the commenters said they try to make their lives revolve around their children, but they can't for too long... I have a hard time relating to this.


I have always felt that the correct analogy for my children is not that I revolve around them like a planet around a sun, but that they are satellites revolving around me. Let me point out first of all that there are 3 of them, and I physically can't revolve around all 3 of them at the same time (unless by a miracle they all want me to do the same thing, which almost never happens...)

They really do seem like my satellites. Luke is like something in low earth orbit, very nearby, practically crowding into my atmosphere. Amanda is further out (perhaps geosynchronous orbit) but well within view. As Eleanor gets older, she's going in to her own worlds, exploring away from me. There are things about her life I don't know, and I shouldn't know, although I try to communicate about the things that are important to me and to her.

My relationship to my own parents is more like a comet: I come around every once in a while, in person 2 or 3 times per year (I wish it were more!) and more often by phone. But I can just imagine the pictures I have seen of the orbits of comets: a long thin orbit, close to the sun for a while, and then flung way out into space for new adventures and independence. I think this picture is much more appropriate for growing children than my forcing myself to revolve around them.

I do admit that I feel especially like a tired planet when Luke, Amanda and Eleanor have been revolving and pulling at me especially hard. Does gravity ever get used up? Perhaps the force holding a 1 year old child to his mother could be exploited as a power source someday... =)

(If you are curious, we had green milk for dinner, but that was because Eleanor climbed up onto the counter and got the green food coloring out of the cabinet (after she got the milk, a cup, and a straw). We are only very tangentially Irish. I remember times growing up when I had no green clothes to wear, even if I had been Irish, because my mom didn't like green, so I decided I didn't like green, so I never got green clothes.)

Comments

Lenise said…
Yes, yes, yes! as Lightning McQueen would say.

BTW, we were Scots-Irish, which meant militantly protestant, which meant my mother encouraged us to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. I kid you not.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.