Skip to main content

Feed the birds

Yesterday we went to Target to pick up a few things for our trip. On the way out we picked up a snack of popcorn, but of course it spilled a little on the way out to the car (aided a bit by some small children...) It was a bit like Hansel and Gretel leaving a trail of breadcrumbs.

When we got to the car I brushed the rest of the popcorn out of the cart and spilled a bit more on the ground. I then buckled Luke in and went over to buckle Amanda in. By the time I got to the other side of the car, the seagulls were swooping in to the popcorn on the ground near the drivers side. Luke was fascinated, but I closed the door (thank goodness for automatic sliding doors!). I then wanted to get into my door, but the gulls acted as though I might be wanting to take away their popcorn spill ("Mine! Mine!")

I admit to being a bit frightened of birds, dating from watching "The Birds" in high school, and a run in with an aggressive pigeon at a coffee shop (don't ask). I was a bit worried that I would have to wait for the popcorn spill to be cleaned up before I could get into the car: fortunately, another car drove by and frightened away the birds so I could slip into the car before they got back.

Amanda informed me today that they were not birds, they were seagulls. I tried to explain that gulls were birds, but she claimed that they were just seagulls, and that she had never seen a bird. "You are wrong, mom." How do you argue with that?

The gulls ate considerably more (and faster) than my kids often do: today for lunch Amanda wanted to have hot cocoa and vitamins. Sigh. Gives new meaning to "eating like a bird".


We will be out of town for the next week. I may be able to post, but if not I'll save up some stories from our ski trip. If we manage to get there, I hope the rest of the trip should be relatively easy.

Comments

Gary said…
Yep. I got the, "Nooo, dat's not a bir-rrd, it's a dove!" from Jay the other day.

I've been trying to tell him that arguing with Mama is not allowed, but whenever I say, "No arguing", he'll either respond with "No, I'm not arguing" or "I'm not trying to!"

-Lenise
mathmom said…
Hi Lenise! That is so funny! Amanda has developed an argumentative streak as well. There is just no profitable way to have a discussion with a preschooler who thinks he's right.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.