Skip to main content

Star Struck

I got to talk to Jack Pearson today! For those of you have never heard of him, he's Mr. Song-Strummin' Story-man, a folk singer who visits schools to sing and tell stories (his website is here). I had called the phone number on his website to order some CDs for presents. Can you imagine how tickled I was to hear a very familiar voice on the other end of the line saying "Hello, this is Jack."

I was very surprised, to say the least. We have had his CDs in our car for months. I think I've probably heard them more than he has! The thing I like best about them is that they do not get old. There are many types of songs, from new compositions to folk songs, stories and instrumentals. The favorite is probably "Eekebee", a retelling of the fable of the lion and the mouse. As the lion says, "Even a mouse can do great things, if he is brave." My favorite is probably the story "Freedom Bird" from a Thai folk tale.

I got to tell him the story of how Eleanor wanted to hear his music when she had a sprained arm on the way to the urgent care center. I told him how Amanda at 2 loved to yell out "Eekebee!" when that part came around on the song. I didn't get to tell him that when Amanda hears the part of the song "We're all like this old guitar," she responds "But I'm like a violin!"

I also didn't tell him the story of when I decided that I wanted to listen to Prairie Home Companion one day, and I had a virtual rebellion on my hands with Eleanor and Amanda chanting in the back seat, "Jack Pearson music! Jack Pearson music!" Sorry, Mr. Keillor.

I really like how he dramatizes the stories with different voices and sounds from his guitar. I remember in particular the story of the dog, Blue, where he makes the sound of a horn echoing through the mountains. Sometimes I forget that he is only one person! I really wonder what other career choices he could have made: it seems like song-strumming storyman is the perfect career for him. In addition to the presents, I got the CD "Fax yourself to Jesus" for myself---what a great title!

It was very gratifying to tell someone I admire how much of a difference he has made in our lives. I hope some day he comes down to North Carolina. I also hope that more people get interested in his music, because he deserves to be heard. I think the best starter disc is Tooth Fairy and other Kidbits, since it has both songs and stories. We also like Possible Bag, since it has "faith songs" with more content and less annoyingness than many recordings I've heard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.