Skip to main content

What we talk about

A friend of mine asked me what Eleanor, Amanda and I talk about all day. To my surprise, I was completely unable to answer her question, despite the fact that we (or at least Eleanor) talk constantly. I resolved to pay more attention the next day. What I discovered is that I should not be a writer, since I clearly have no ear for dialogue: after listening for a day and trying to remember what was said, I still had no idea what we talked about.

After listening for a few days and trying desperately to remember what was said, here is what I learned.

Amanda's conversations, frequently with herself, have to do with pretending. She'll come up to me and say "Hi Mom." "Hi Amanda." "NOOO. Hi Mom." I'll then look and she'll be waving her hands. I am convinced that her hands are her imaginary playmates---at least, they are alive to her and she has conversations with them all the time. "Oh, hi little hands." "Will you play trains with us for a little while?" At which point we make train tracks and the trains and hands wreck the tracks, the hands slide down slides, and so on. The other conversation we have been having lately goes like this: "Mom, I want some (mumble mumble)" "What do you want?" (Louder and more insistent) "MOM I WANT SOME (mumble mumble)" "WHAT?" (screaming, but in a way that I can't make out) "SOME MUMBLE MUMBLE!" "Can you point?" We do eventually figure out what she wants.

Eleanor's conversations have mostly to do with what she wants to do (make recipes, watch tv, read a book) and what goes on in class. She can recite all her classmates' first names---in alphabetical order. There are many dramas going on about girls who want to join her "group", who she is sitting next to in rest and read, who was door holder, who was bossy or "lied" (we're trying to work this out right now. If you think lying is an easy concept to understand, try explaining it to a 5 year old!) Sometimes she tells me the tragic story of herself as a purple kitty: her mother and all the other purple kitties died when she was little, and then she found our family! She was telling me of one story that was so long, she had to dream it in two nights...

Then there are the mom-led conversations. "Amanda, sit down at the table please." "Girls, you'll we need to leave in a minute." "Please stop tormenting your brother." "It's time to pick up some toys." "Let's go put away some laundry!"

Not terribly deep, but mostly fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.